The Lancaster Canal Trust


Since its formation in 1963 as the Association for the Restoration of the Lancaster Canal, the Trust’s main objective has been to restore, and reopen to navigation, the length of the canal from Tewitfield, just north of Carnforth, to Kendal. In addition, the Trust aims to increase awareness and promote interest amongst all users of this historic and beautiful waterway, be they boaters, walkers, cyclists, or anglers.

The Lancaster Canal History


200 years ago ….. on 22nd November 1797 the Preston to Tewitfield section of the Lancaster Canal was officially opened and a grand celebration was held to mark the occasion. At 9.30am a number of boats with local dignitaries on board sailed from Lancaster up to the Lune Aqueduct accompanied on their journey by red-coated guardsmen. In the distance an artillery salute was sounded over Lancaster Moor. This was repeated at various intervals along the route with the final round being fired from outside the town hall.