The Lancaster Canal Trust


Since its formation in 1963 the main objective of the Lancaster Canal Trust has been to restore and reopen to navigation the length of canal from Tewitfield, just north of Carnforth, to Kendal. The Trust also aims to increase awareness and promote interest amongst all users of this historic and beautiful waterway, be they boaters, walkers, cyclists, or anglers

The Lancaster Canal History


Over 200 years ago, on 22nd November 1797, the Preston to Tewitfield section of the Lancaster Canal was officially opened and a grand celebration was held to mark the occasion. At 9.30am a number of boats with local dignitaries on board sailed from Lancaster up to the Lune Aqueduct accompanied on their journey by red-coated guardsmen. In the distance an artillery salute was sounded over Lancaster Moor. This was repeated at various intervals along the route with the final round being fired from outside the town hall.